StatCounter

Sunday, July 28, 2013

Prayer

Karl Barth said that prayer is the central work of Christians, and I believe that, but our prayers tend to be more talking than listening. Here's what I mean. Sermon preparation consumes about 10-12 hours, on average. I spent easily that much time this past week on this Sunday's sermon. I cooked up a dandy! It had indented quotes, citations to the Larger Catechism of the Presbyterian Church, USA, and no fewer than three footnotes. That's a lot of work and I laid my head down last night with a feeling of accomplishment.

That's when I got a call from God (he has my cell phone). "Stewart!" He said. "I have reviewed your sermon and that is the most boring thing I have read in my entire life, and that's saying something. You cannot inflict that upon my Presbyterians. Get up and re-write it. Here...I'll help."

And so, I did.

Join the congregation of Community Presbyterian Church of Bellefonte, Kentucky and see if it got any better by clicking HERE for audio or HERE for text.

Community Presbyterian Church of Bellefonte, Kentucky, was built on the casting floor of a 19th Century iron blast furnace. We use "The Casting Floor" as an image for the power of the Spirit to form us. Visit us at http://communitypresbyterian.org.


No comments:

Post a Comment