StatCounter

Sunday, October 23, 2016

Pretty Balloons

An old friend of mine is studying Buddhism. He told me of a fascinating conversation he had with his teacher, begun when he asked, "If attaining enlightenment is the goal of living, isn't that pursuit an attachment which can only block the path forward?"

His teacher thought a moment and replied, "There is a difference between attachment and focus." It made me think of the parable of the Pharisee and the Publican in this week's Gospel passage from Luke. Listen in and see if I have a screw loose, or if I stumbled on to something.

Oh, and prepare yourself. I forgot myself and began singing a Leonard Cohen song during the benediction. There were howls of outrage from musicians everywhere.

Join the congregation of Community Presbyterian Church of Bellefonte, Ky. for this week's sermon, Pretty Balloons by clicking HERE for audio or HERE for text.

Community Presbyterian Church of Bellefonte, Kentucky, was built on the casting floor of a 19th Century iron blast furnace. We use "The Casting Floor" as an image for the power of the Spirit to form us. Visit us at http://communitypresbyterian.org.

1 comment: