StatCounter

Sunday, September 8, 2013

The Elephant's Tale

One of the most common things I hear when discussing my obsession with religion with the congregation of the Chapel of St. Arbuck's is, "I'm spiritual, but I'm not religious" by which it is meant that the declarant finds the prospect of joining with others of like (or different!) faith tiresome, tedious and non-productive. Such a statement can also be a convenient way to deal with the inconvenient aspects of a personal relationship with God, an inconvenience Jesus himself described in this fashion:

“Whoever comes to me and does not hate father and mother, wife and children, brothers and sisters, yes, and even life itself, cannot be my disciple. Whoever does not carry the cross and follow me cannot be my disciple.
I wonder what would happen if we preached that to all prospective members? Come see why a community of believers is necessary for this week's sermon, The Elephant's Tale by clicking HERE for audio or HERE for text.

Community Presbyterian Church of Bellefonte, Kentucky, was built on the casting floor of a 19th Century iron blast furnace. We use "The Casting Floor" as an image for the power of the Spirit to form us. Visit us at http://communitypresbyterian.org.

No comments:

Post a Comment